Doose was also spelled Dohse, Dose, Dosen or even Doss in past generations.  

Doose and its variations still occur today in the Bretagne, through Flanders, the Netherlands, Friesland, into Holstein and on to Denmark. The Dosen name occurs today in Norway and one could speculate about a Viking connection.

Our Doose family roots are in Germany. Our ancestors come from East Holstein in Northern Germany. Today this is part of the State of Schleswig-Holstein. The oldest ancestor, Hinrich the old One, was born around 1580, likely in Neustadt, a small town on the shores of the Baltic Sea. He is then traceable to the village of Zarnekau east of Eutin. He and most individuals in the key lineage were blacksmiths and free citizens. The rest of the village population working the farms and estates were serfs of the local gentry.

In the 1700’s one of our ancestors moved to Lebatz, a little village outside the town of Ahrensbök in Holstein about 30 km southwest of Zarnekau. Like his father and grandfather before him he was the blacksmith for the village. His descendants lived in villages around Ahrensbök well into the 20th century. One of them, Johann Detlef Heinrich Doose, traveled through Germany as a journeyman in the 1890’s. Our line descends from him. In his travels through Lower Silesia he met his wife, they married and settled in Kuestrin on the Oder river, approx. 100 km East of Berlin, early in 1900. After WW II the family settled in Duisburg in the Ruhr area in West-Germany. Our branch then emigrated to Canada in the late 1950’s.

During the Nazi era (1933 to 1945) Doose-family genealogists published several treatises in which they sought to prove ties of the family name to the old Germanic tribes. Nothing could be established with certainty. From today’s perspective, these genealogists were likely devoted followers of the Third Reich and its ideology who wanted desperately to prove their Teutonic Germanic descent. They certainly reflected the prescribed thinking of the time.  

About a thousand years ago Slavic regional chieftains ruled the surrounding land from the island fort in the Great Lake Eutin (Großer Eutiner See). The originally Slavonic settlement was populated in the twelfth century by Dutch settlers.  About one dozen  families settled on the moraine hill, protected by the surrounding marsh. The hill is still the center of the city. They retained the old Slavonic name of Utin. Below a colour drawing of Eutin in 1598   Eutin 1598 color drawing

and a picture of the Bishops Palace today 

Eutin Today

Today Eutin is the district capital of Eastern Holstein (German: Ostholstein). It has some 17,000 inhabitants.  In 1156 Eutin became a market town. City rights were granted in the year 1257. It later became the seat of the Prince-Bishopric of Lübeck, as Lübeck itself was an imperial free city. Details on Eutin can be found at these links:|1039.206.1#history

Ahrensbök came into existence after the foundation of a pilgrimage chapel in 1280. The first documentary reference to the settlement dates from 1328. In 1348 it was devastated by the Black Death. In 1397 the Carthusian Monks founded a monastery here, Ahrensbök Charterhouse, which helped Ahrensbök to grow in prominence. In 1564 the Amt Ahrensbök, or administrative district of Ahrensbök, was established as a civil administration unit. Further details on Ahrensbök can be found at this link: