The first document about the Bollingers dates from 1362. The Turbenthal church books only start in 1529. The data for the Chronic of the Bollinger of Neubrunn for the time from 1362 to 1529 was gathered from the archives in of the Monastery of St. Gallen, tax rolls of the town of Zurich, tax books and other sources to show who lived, and when, in Neubrunn. For details see Ancestry Data – Links ‘Beitrag zur Geschichte der Bollinger von Neubrunn und den 4 Orten Bollingen” or use the following link:
Dr. Erwin Jaeckle writes in his book “The Lifeline” (Die Lebenslinie): The great-grandfather of Hans Bollinger, who in 1458, received the farm in Neubrunn from the abbot of the monastery of St. Gallen, was likely the same Bollinger that farmed these lands in 1362. Around that time a Heinrich Frank von Bollingen appears who is called a ‘noble farmer’; in other words he was a member of the low aristocracy. He seems in turn related to Frank von Bollingen who was called by the Knight Heinrich von Klingenberg “my faithful servant’. Frank von Bollingen resided in the castle and town of ‘Tannegge’. In 1346 the Knight Heinrich von Klingenberg documented that “his servant Frank von Bollingen lost a horse in a battle in Bavaria”. In 1352 he was killed in the battle of Tannegg is very close to Neubrunn..
Heinrich Frank von Bollingen had a son Hennyn von Bollingen, who owned a vineyard in 1398 in Steckborn that was called Turbental. This is proof that the “von Bollingen”, whose castle at the upper end of Lake Zurich had already been destroyed around 1259, must have established themselves around this time in the area in and around Turbenthal.
In today’s valley of Neubrunn, located between Bichelsee and Turbental, lies the village of Neubrunn. In the old days It belonged to Tannegg. Here we find in 1362 the 1st Bollinger who farms the land (“der das Land buwet” – Chronic of the Bollinger of Neubrunn). See a copy of the actual document at the end of this section.
Dr. Jaeckle writes on this subject “It is therefore certain that the Bollinger at the side of Heinrich Frank von Bollingen was a member of the low aristocracy of the Rapperswil line of the ‘von Bollingen’ (Rapperswil lies at the southeast end of Lake Zurich). This line had become farmers. In those days the low aristocracy was at times unable to equip more than one son as a knight. They sent their daughters to the convents“.
From the Chronic of the Bollinger of Schlossrued by Prof. Dr. Armin Bollinger, who kindly made the chronic available:
The clan of the Bollinger, also often called Bolliger, dates in Switzerland to the time of the settlement by allemanic (Germanic) tribes between the 5th and 7th century. In linguistic research the name “Bollo” designates the family name, while the ending “ingen” means children or people. The Bollinger were thus the children, or kin “of the Bollo”. Other surnames were similarly formed, such as Zähringer, Merowinger, Zollinger, etc. In those times members of the Bollinger settled in different parts of today’s Switzerland, such as Beringen, Canton Schaffhausen and some areas of Canton Aargau, the name often appearing as Bolliger. In the villages of Bolligen, Canton Bern and Bollingen at the upper part of Lake Zurich it led to the naming of these settlements.
And here the document from 1362 for the sale of the Bollinger ‘Buwet’: